The establishment of diplomatic relations between the Kingdom of Tonga and the People’s Republic of China in November 2, 1998 has been the vision of His Late Majesty, King Taufa‘ahau Tupou IV and the former Chinese President H.E. Chairman Jiang Zemin.
His Majesty King Tupou VI visited Beijing in 1998 – in his capacity as Foreign Minister – to formalize the establishment of diplomatic relations between the two countries.
November 23, 1998, Chinese Embassy in the Kingdom of Tonga was set up.
1999 Tonga-China signed Defence Relation.
In April 2005, a Memorandum of Understanding regarding tourism plan from China to Tonga was signed and Tonga officially became a tourist destination between many Chinese citizens.
May 18, 2005, Embassy of the Kingdom of Tonga was officially opened in Beijing.
Moreover, the people of Tonga are witnesses and beneficiaries of the wide range of entertainment and news programs provided by the China Central television (CCTV) that are broadcast free to air on the second channel of the Tonga Broadcasting Commission Station. CCTV broadcasts have kept the people of Tonga informed of the current events happening in China and most importantly of the rich cultural heritage of the Chinese people. The foundation of a burgeoning diplomatic relationship is found in a sound cultural understanding between the two countries involved.
At the people to people’s friendship perspective, Tonga and China have established relationship amongst themselves with many Chinese establishing businesses and thus forming a small Chinese community in Tonga. Ultimately, the Chinese People Association for Friendship with Foreign Countries and Tonga China Friendship Association- headed by HRH The Princess Royal, Princess Salote Mafile’o Pilolevu Tuita- present a dynamic potential to reach all parts of the community.
July 4, 2015 special Envoy of President Xi Jinping visit Tonga to attend the coronation of King Tupou VI. The visit has become the new chapter in the China-Tonga relation
Hence that friendship at a government to government, people to people level, whilst time consuming and at times requiring sacrifice, most critically requires – mutual trust, mutual respects, mutual understanding, an emotional bond; and a common purpose and vision for life.
The Government of the People's Republic of China (PRC) offers 20+ new scholarships to Tongan to study at tertiary institutions in China every year. Tonga currently has 53 students (May 2017).
The Government of the People's Republic of China also offers a variety of short-term trainings and seminars to Tongan officials from both private and the public sectors.
- Urban Management;
- Agricultural Technologies for the South Pacific;
- Seminar on Agricultural Project Management and cooperation;
- South Pacific Cooperative Seminar on Agricultural Technologies for the South Pacific and Caribbean Countries;
- Seminar for Managing Officials of Archives from Developing Countries;
- Training Course on Practical Technologies of Animal Husbandry for Developing Countries;
- Seminar on Radio and TV Journalism;
- Port Management;
- Chinese Culture and Economy;
- Management of Maritime Rescue and Savage; Policies and Experiences in Promoting Economic Development by Science and Technology; Urban Environment Management;
- Capacity Building of National Red Cross & Red Crescent Societies; Workshop on the Management of community-based Projects of National Red Cross & Red Crescent Societies;
- Seminar for Media Professionals of Pacific Island Countries;
- Seminar for Education Officials;
- Seminar on Public Administration;
- Seminar on SME Development;
- Seminar on Tourism Development and Cooperation Seminar for Countries of Latin America, the Caribbean and South Pacific Region;
- Training course on Technology of protected Horticulture for South Pacific Island Countries;
- Seminar on Sustainable Forest Operation;
- Seminar on Earthquake Rescue;
- Training course on Horticulture and vegetables safety;
- Training course on new technology for tropical Agriculture;
- Seminar on Industrial Economic Development;
- Training course Crops Pest Control;
- Training course on Renewable Energy Technology;
- Seminar on Policies and Experiences in Promoting Economic Development by Science and Technology;
- Seminar for Chambers of Commerce and Aquaculture;
- Food Safety Management;
- Sustainable Development of Ocean on Fisheries Industry; Management of Animal Husbandry
- Commodity Inspection and Quarantine;
- Agricultural Project Management, Management of Project Aided by the Chinese Government;
- Techniques of Deep Processing & Safety & Quality Control of Livestock Products; Marine Organism Culture Technology;
- Solar Energy Application;
- Auto Testing & Fault Diagnosis Technology;
- Maternal and Infant Health Care Servcies, Clinical Nursing Medicine Course;
- TV Broadcasting Techniques;
- Computer Soft’ Hard’ Netware Technology
- Flower Technology;
- Chinese Language;
- Biotechnology Application on Food Industries;
- Elements of Seismic Monitoring Techniques;
- Training Course on Cassava Production and Processing Technology;
- Economic and Social Policy Consulting;
- Seminar on Public Administration;Seminar on Economic Administration, Economic Development on china’s Region
- Town Government Management;
- Green Building Material & Energy saving Construction;
- Macroeconomic Development;
- Climate and Climate Change
- Investment & Financing of Economic Cooperation Projects with China;
- Senior Seminar on E-Commerce; Seminar on Business Planning,
- Commodity Market Development & management
- Government Land Management;
- Seminar on Urban Business Planning;
- Seminar for Senior Military Officers from Caribbean and South Pacific Nations;
- Modern Hotel Management;
- Investment, Trade and Tourism Ministerial Conference Forum;
- SIDSTEC Course on Hospital Management; and
- Capital Construction.